These two ads for Qantas are not directly comparable as they serve two very distinct communication needs and both are successful in different ways.
- The ‘Spirit’ ad is seen as a visually pleasing piece of communication, scoring well on creative diagnostics such as ‘Has a great image’, ‘Catches my eye’ and ‘Looks good’ and this is reflected in research verbatims
- This ad achieves strong scores for Affinity however some comments indicated confusion over key messages
- Because the ad is one component of a multi-tiered strategy, it struggles to stand alone in testing.
Stronger “Informational” ad
- Conversely, the ‘Stronger’ ad is perceived to be cluttered and looking a little dull, however, this ad scores high numbers for Reappraisal, Information and speaking to the Public Agenda
- Of those respondents who understood the key messages within the ad, research verbatims demonstrated a high degree of understanding around key issues…and for them, the level of information provided, was a good thing.
Download full results in the document below.