Newspaper of the Year entries hit more than 700

Judging will begin next week on more than 700 entries in the Newspaper of the Year Awards – a record number.

The Newspaper Works chief executive Mark Hollands was buoyed by the number entries – more than 1200 when Ad and Marketing Award entries are included.

“The response has been fantastic this year – the best I have seen since I joined the old industry body, PANPA, in 2008,” he said.

The awards, hosted by the Newspaper Works, are known as the PANPAs in recognition of the Pacific area newspaper group that began the award program..

All the major newspapers have again taken part, with considerable growth in the advertising and marketing categories, which is up 30 per cent from last year.

“There also has been an excellent response from colleagues in print and production, where Print Centre of the Year is going to be hotly contested,” Mr Hollands said.

There had been increased interest after a revamp of the division and the issue of new criteria, he said.

Judging in the Ad and Marketing Awards began last month, with more than 80 judges evaluating entries, with the finalists announced this week.

The Newspaper of the Year entries will be assessed by a panel headed by non-voting chairman Ian Moore, who is an editorial consultant to The Newspaper Works.

Finalists for the awards will be announced on Tuesday, August 11. The winners will be announced at a function at the Hilton Hotel on Friday, September 11, marking the close of the 2015 Future Forum.

For more news from The Newspaper Works, click here.

Leave a comment